Top Dog Parade Kicks off the Spring Season
by Dennis Rahm
With spring just around the corner, it’s time to turn our attention once again to thoughts of longer days, warmer temperatures and reasons to spend more time outdoors.
One way to help with this transition from winter to spring is by joining in on the annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration, Saturday, March 17th, which features the 2018 Wayne Kelly Memorial Top Dog parade in downtown Chelan.
Everyone is welcome to join the parade!
A mainstay event for more than 30 years, the parade has grown but still maintains a casual structure. Advance sign up to participate is non-existent. Just line up behind the Chelan Wells Fargo Bank around 11:30 a.m.
The actual parade will start at 12 noon and make its way down Woodin Avenue to the delight of participants and spectators alike. In addition to a wide variety of dog breeds, past Top Dog parades have included horses, green-tinted llamas, costumed goats and even a pig.
Not to worry, you’ll also find more typical parade entries such as bands, floats, fire trucks and more.
One of those looking forward to this year’s event is Gene Kelly, co-owner of Kelly’s Ace Hardware. At 90 years young, Gene tells LakeChelanNow he has never missed a Top Dog parade.
Gene Kelly loves Top Dog Parade. Click on the arrow to hear his thoughts.
Kelly’s Ace Hardware other co-owner, Pat Kelly, has likewise attended all previous Top Dog parades, but due to business commitments he will miss the 2018 event.
Pat says the success of the parade over these many years is due to the hard work of the many volunteers. He especially singles out the efforts of the Lake Chelan Lions Club.
Pat Kelly gives kudo’s to Lake Chelan Lions’ Club for Parade success. Click on the arrow below for his comments.
Here’s hoping you have the opportunity to visit downtown Chelan on Saturday for a full day of fun activities with something to offer for all ages. LakeChelanNow will provide Facebook live broadcasts at various times prior to and during the parade. We will also post a gallery of parade photos so check back to the site soon.
Chelan’s St. Patrick’s Day event schedule:
• 8:30 a.m. registration/9:30 a.m. run begins — Shamrock Shuffle 5K Fun Run sponsored by the Lions Club. A benefit for the Lake Chelan Health and Wellness Foundation.
• 11:30 a.m. — Top Dog Parade formation in the parking lot behind Wells Fargo Bank
• 12 Noon — Parade starts moving down Woodin Avenue from east to west
• 12:30-4 p.m. — Barking Lot party at Campbell’s Resort. Doggie treats, music, fun
• 1-4 p.m. — Lake Chelan Taste of the Irish. Sponsored by Campbell’s and Stormy Mountain Brewing as a benefit for the Historic Downtown Chelan Association. Whiskey tastings at Campbell’s and ale tastings at various downtown locations.
Visit LakeChelanNow on Saturday night/Sunday morning to view our photo gallery from the 2018 St. Patrick’s Day’s events!