Chelan will continue to strengthen the team for next year
Information and photo from Kirk Einspahr, HS Science Olympiad Coach
Congratulations to the Chelan High School Science Olympiad team who competed in the Regional Science Olympiad competition at Spokane Falls Community College in Spokane on Saturday, March 9.
The team consisted of 12 students (up to 15 can be on a team) of all grade levels freshman through senior, and came in 6th place with a score of 167, only 4 points from 5th place. The team came in just 20 points out of 4th and a trip to the state competition.
We have high hopes that they might accomplish that quest next year, especially considering we only have 1 senior graduating from the current team! Schools of all sizes compete together, and we were one of, if not the, smallest school(s) represented in the competition.
Scoring in the top 4 and earning a ribbon (4th) or medal (1st thru 3rd) in one of the 24 events were the following students:
- Anatomy & Physiology: 3rd – Amberly Guerrero (Fr.) & Nadia Van Wechel (Jr.)
- Designer Genes: 4th – Guerrero & Nicole Manier (Jr.)
- Disease Detectives: 4th – Guerrero & Mireya Garibay (So.)
- Dynamic Planet: 2nd – Guerrero & Gladi Banuelos (So.)
- Fossils: 3rd – EmmaLee Folsom (Sr.) & Van Wechel
- Geologic Mapping: 4th – Isabella Evans (Jr.)
- Herpetology: 2nd – Van Wechel & Folsom
- Water Quality: 4th – Van Wechel & Lanie Folsom (So.)
The students were also given a guided tour of the campus on Friday and given information about some of the programs offered at SFCC, as well as its “sister” college, Spokane Community College, on the other side of city.