Important Reminders about Portable Generators and Winter Storms
Information submitted by Chelan Fire & Rescue
Portable generators can be very useful during winter storms, but if not used safely, they can cause injuries and death.
Here are a few safety tips to remember this winter:
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows and vents.
- Make sure you have carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
- Do not use a generator in a wet area. This can cause shock or electrocution.
- Connect appliances to the generator with heavy-duty extension cords.
- Do not fuel your generator when it is running. Spilling gas on a hot engine can cause a fire.